Saturday 13 May 2017

Day 223 of university, psychology appointment

Maybe it's a good thing my mum isn't going with me to my appointment on Tuesday. We're sat in the psychologists office working through the ASD diagnosis stuff and she's thinking of how it relates to my brother. I'm sorry if it sounds selfish but we're there to try to figure out what's wrong with me, not him. And as the psychologist said if it's not negatively affecting you then it doesn't really matter if you fit the criteria.

I've been reading journal articles about aspergers and I've found so much stuff that explains how I felt growing up. It makes everything make more sense, but I'm worried I won't get the diagnosis because​ of my mum. I mean it isn't her fault if she can't remember stuff or normalized it but I feel like I really need this because it's already been helping my mood - making me feel like everything makes a little more sense. I'm sure we'll figure it out though on the end.

Anyway, to summarise what the psychologist said as the reasons for suspecting I have aspergers: I am not particularly bothered about my difficulty talking; I don't feel the need to fit in with norms eg. not making much of an effort with appearance when going out, making sure people doesn't assume the wrong things about who I am (I don't think I've explained that very well but I don't know how else to word it); I don't feel the pressure to act a certain way to an extent where I act on it  ie. I don't particularly care what people think of me, such as getting my hair cut short, saying the minimum possible when talking to people, not often correcting people when they interpret me wrong; and at times copying things other people have said, even though they are out of character for me. Which I think sums me up pretty well so they must be onto something, even if my mum doesn't want to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment